John Brown was born to Thomas Brown and Margaret Harrison
in Yorkshire, England. John was baptised twice, firstly on 2 April 1745
at Ovington, Forcett, Yorkshire, then again on 25 April 1745 at the adjacent
village of Wycliffe. This was a common custom to have a child baptised
in the home parish of his mother and his father.
He married Ann Dodds. They had 8 children:
- Joseph Brown was born
on 20 Mar 1777 at Waitgate Farm. He married Ann Healey on 21 May 1800
in Rochdale. They had 12 children. He married Mary Ann Wood Watt on
4 Mar 1825 in Preston and they had 3 more children.
- John Brown was baptised on 3 August 1780 in Rochdale and died the
- Catherine Brown was also baptised on 3 August 1780.
- John Brown was baptised on 25 March 1782 in Rochdale.
- Thomas Brown was baptised on 11 October 1783 in Rochdale. He married
Helen Sutcliffe and died 29 July 1848 in Wardleworth.
- James Brown was baptised on 31 March 1785 in Rochdale.
- William Brown was baptised on 1 November 1787 in Rochdale.
- Elizabeth Brown was baptised on 21 November 1787 in Rochdale.
| They lived at Waitgate Farm near Richmond and then moved to Rochdale.|